Want to know why I'm blogging??

Take a gander at my introductory blog: Explicate Your Analog


Friday, April 11, 2008

There is no shame in failure, only in not trying

I must say, I wish I had heard this saying growing up. There is so much that I would go back and at least try. I would have tried to enjoy high school more rather than just focusing on the grades - same for college. Instead, having a perfectionist mentality instilled in me from as far back as I can remember - I refused to do things in public if I didn't know that I could do them well, which is pretty ridiculous because nobody is a master of anything that they try for the first time - but there you go, I did not want to try and fail and look like a fool in the process. I still struggle with that crazy kind of thinking, but I have been more prone to try new things of late. Granted there have been a few things that I've tried and ended up getting a little more out of hand than first anticipated,but you live and you learn. And well I'm a fairly late bloomer in this whole "trying new things" department.

With this move there have been plenty of new things I've had to step into not knowing how well I'd do or what the outcome might be. I've had to try my hand at fundraising again (which didn't work out so well the first time). I've had to try to find a new church to attend, a Bible study class, a small group, and just new friends in general. The next thing on my agenda is to try to start my own small group for women in my apartment. Now, I've done this several times before in Houston, but I already had a great, big, built-in group of female friends who attended the studies I led. This time my comfort level is lower because I'm still getting to know many of the women here, but I figure this will be another way to help build and cultivate those relationships. I haven't quite figured out what study I want to lead the group in - so suggestions are welcome!

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

Fear - it's a bugger!! But at least we are bringing our fears into the light and exposing them for what they are.

I'm very proud of you for your new experiences - and even for the bad ones - because that means even more growth for you, and more wisdom to pass onto me (hehehe)

I know your bible study is going to be amazing, and I'm praying for an incredible group of women who can learn from your great wisdom, but who can also teach you a thing or two.

kd_rundle said...

You know I wouldn't even say that I've had any real bad experiences, maybe some unwise ones - but they've all helped me become more aware of myself.

And I'm gonna need those other women in my study to teach me more than just a thing or two - there's more that I need to learn than that!

Laura said...

Well, I think you are more 'with it' than you think!

As far as the study. I can't tell you the last time I went to a 'woman's study'.. sorry.. after Masterlife.. they all looked boring.

kd_rundle said...

Well, I'm not really looking for a "women's study" per se...Right now I think I'm itching to go through Ephesians or Colossians.