Want to know why I'm blogging??

Take a gander at my introductory blog: Explicate Your Analog


Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Lingering...

A couple of Sunday's ago, the Sunday school class I attend was issued a 21-day challenge to form the habit of reading the Word and praying each day. Now, over the years I've had inconsistent quiet times, sometimes being consistent for long stretches of months and then dropping off as things get hectic or I get too complacent with where I'm at spiritually. Of late, I've felt kind of adrift - still trying to get my bearings on how to do life in Louisville and work in a MUCH less than routine ministry environment...and well the chaos is definitely being reflected in my significantly less than Martha Stewart (or even Laura Altendorf) house-keeping. And that has also spilled over into my time with Christ being fairly hit-or-miss.......kind of hard to be wooed by Him if you rarely let yourself spend time with Him!

Thus, I have taken up the 21-day challenge. I started it that following Monday, but I've since started over again because I've decided on a better "routine." Here's the thing, for as long as I've ever had to get up routinely in the morning for school or work - I have always had the TV on and have used that pretty much as my guide for my morning schedule. However, I have resolved to no longer have the TV on in the mornings. Instead, after I wake up and shower, make my tea and prepare breakfast - I take my tea and breakfast and Bible out onto my balcony. I set my cell phone alarm for 45 minutes - and settle into my time with God. Now, the reason I set the alarm for 45 minutes is because when it buzzes I "snooze" it for another 15 minutes to allow me some specific time just devoted to prayer. Here's the thing, when I'm reading the Word and meditating and reflecting on it, I often find myself lingering over certain sections. By setting the alarm, I don't have to worry about the time - I can linger as long as I need to on a certain verse or passage because I know I've set aside more time specifically for prayer. Mmmmm, I love that word "linger"...to be slow in parting with the Lord.

In regards to prayer during this 21 day challenge, I am renewing my efforts to pray for whoever that lucky soul is that might be my "future mate" (HA!) Again, this is a prayer that I've gone through spurts of consistency with - actually even more inconsistently than the quiet times really - mostly because I feel silly (and a bit selfish) praying it. As much as I desire marriage and a family - after a while you just get tired of beating the same dead horse into the ground. However, I am finding that maybe part of why I don't praying about it is because 1) It goes back to how I don't always believe that my Father has greater gifts in mind for me than I could ever imagine and 2) by not praying about it then I still have some influence/control over the situation. Instead, by laying it down before Him each morning - it frees me up to keep my focus on serving Him where He has me now. And I am reminded to pray that God would continue to prepare me for whomever I marry. And don't worry ;) my prayers aren't solely focused on me either, I have several friends that I am praying for on a more consistent basis - some who have wandered away from God, or become apathetic, or are experiencing health issues, etc. I just know that I want to be more consistent and intentional in placing all of those needs and requests and hopes and dreams before the throne.

Hmmmm, this move to Kentucky is certainly spurring on the formation of a lot of new experiences and spiritual disciplines! :)

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

I'm so glad that things are finally settling down for you and you are getting your routine back.

You know it's funny - since unpacking - I've found my old journals and bibles, and have been going through all my notes- and it's amazing that even though I was so screwed up in the head - I had some pretty profound thoughts!

I've taken your idea too by not turning the tv on and reading my bible while munching on my cereal. It's been a good time. Not as much time as I'd like -but a great start!