Want to know why I'm blogging??

Take a gander at my introductory blog: Explicate Your Analog


Thursday, April 10, 2008

The Pastor's Wife

I've been given a project by Shane (my boss) to read "The Pastor's Wife," by Sabina Wurmbrand and "In God's Underground," by Richard Wurmbrand. They are a missionary couple that endured many years of separation and imprisonment during the Communist reign over Rumania. As I am reading "The Pastor's Wife," I am continually in awe of Sabina - a woman who adores her husband, but she is also a strong and feisty companion who grounds her husband in their combined effort to reach all people for Christ in Rumania. Here are just a couple of instances where Sabina's forthrightness has reminded me of the kind of woman of God I desire to be:

The Communist leaders are pandering to a conference of religious leaders of all faiths, but Sabina and Richard knew better.

It was as if they spat in Christ's face. I could feel that Richard was boiling. So I told him what was already in his heart and said:
"Will you not wash this shame from the face of Christ?"
Richard knew what would happen: "If I speak, you will lose a husband."
At once I replied - it was not my courage, but given to me for the moment: "I don't need a coward for a husband."


To which her husband arose and spoke to the crowd. What a woman!

And then later on there is an opportunity for them to escape and leave Rumania, and Richard believes that it would be better for them to flee than to remain in Rumania. All this after a friend has come and reminded them of the words of the angel to Lot:

"Escape for thy life, look not behind thee."
When he (the friend) left, Richard asked me: "Don't you think that may have been a message from God? Why should he come to see us after so long, and repeat over and over, 'Escape for thy life?' Wasn't it a warning that I must save my life by fleeing?"
I said, "Escape for what life?" Then I went into the bedroom and opened the scripture where Jesus says: 'Whosoever will save his life shall lose it and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it."
I asked Richard, "If you leave now, will you ever be able again to preach about this text?"
We didn't speak again that night about leaving.


Reading Sabina's story reminds me of the stories that Neil (my pastor in Houston) tells about his wife, Marcie. One in particular where Marcie responded to Neil by saying, "What a small price to pay for integrity." Women unashamed to support and challenge their husbands to be blameless men of God. I love it!

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

I got chills just reading those few inserts - I can't wait until my copy comes in!!!