Want to know why I'm blogging??

Take a gander at my introductory blog: Explicate Your Analog


Friday, April 25, 2008

Blind Date #1

While getting ready for work, I caught a segment they did on the Today show about how mothers like to try to be matchmakers for their daughters. Thankfully, my mother is more talk than action in this area - however, my "friends" on the other hand have tried this matchmaking thing a time or two and tend to talk about it even more than my mom! Between watching that segment and reading a fellow blogger's blind date post, I thought I might do a two-part post of my blind date experiences. We'll call the first guy Holy Boy.


Blind Date #1:
My best friend (who is married) e-mailed me and tagged onto the end of her e-mail that she had this great guy that she wanted to hook me up with who lives in Houston. My attitude was to take advantage of most opportunities presented to me, so I told her sure – bring it on. Thus, she e-mailed Holy Boy, whom she had gone to college with. While they were in college together, they ran in the same circles but were more acquaintances than good friends (this should have been my first clue!). Holy Boy and I email and IM for a couple of weeks and trade pics via e-mail. He seemed fairly attractive, but even from the pics you can’t really tell much about how a person looks in proportion to other people (this will factor in later). We finally decided to meet up. First, we tried to meet up for coffee, but considering he wasn't much for planning ahead – AT ALL – it took us about three attempts over the coarse of the weekend to get together. That right there is annoying. If you've got a busy weekend, then suggest a later date don't continue to try to make plans with me and continually postpone because you've forgotten these other things you've committed to do. I've got my own life full of things that need to get done, too - thank you very much. Here’s some background on Holy Boy that I managed to accumulate before meeting up with him: he grew up in a missionary family; his sister and her husband are missionaries; he has a job and supports himself but ultimately wants to become a missionary; he is active at his church; he likes to dance; he has similar taste in TV shows and humor. Sounds pretty okay for me, right? Ugh…We went to dinner at Gringo’s (my unfortunate suggestion – I mistakenly called it a Mexican restaurant, which he felt obliged to correct me in conversation several times – it's Tex-Mex). I had had a HUGE lunch earlier that day. Had I known that I would be going out to eat that evening, I probably wouldn’t have eaten as much, but considering Holy Boy didn’t call until close to the end of the work day and I had figured that we would just be meeting up for coffee like we had been trying to ALL weekend, I went ahead and ate to my heart’s content. Anyways, back to the date. We met at the restaurant. I saw him standing there as I walked up and couldn't help thinking “Dang, he’s pretty darn skinny.” This became a thought that continued to pop into my head throughout the entire meal because I could not get over the fact that I probably outweighed this guy. Anyways, thankfully the conversation was fairly steady, no big gaps of silence. Although, throughout the meal I kept getting this sense of him being a little “holier-than-thou.” I don’t know, some people may think that about me, too, I’d hope not. I’d hope I come across as a more genuine than that. He talked about the salsa and hip-hop aerobics classes he taught on the side. I asked if he still taught the classes, but he said no he had to stop teaching them. You see, as I’m sure we're all well aware, the lyrics in many hip-hop songs are very sexual in content. He was starting to wake up in the mornings with the pictures of the lyrics in his head, and he couldn't have that. And that's a fine enough explanation, but he had to follow it up with the fact that he'd also been hanging out with some of the students in his classes afterwards, and a few of the women were developing crushes on him, and that just wasn’t appropriate. Note to self: on a first date make sure to mention how other members of the opposite sex are crushing on me – it’ll make my date want me more...or maybe not so much. And all that talk about me eating a big lunch plays into how I barely ate any of my dinner. I kind of felt bad about that, but not too bad since I hadn't planned on going out to eat that evening. Finally the date was over, we left the restaurant and he walked me in the general direction of my car. We did the side-hug thing (which only reinforced my earlier feeling that I could probably crush this guy if I squeezed too hard). He said he'd call...(I hoped not). I left more than happy to go back to my dateless state, and thankfully it must have been mutual as he did not make any move to contact me. While it worked out well for me that he didn't call - guys really need to not use that as their standard parting line if they have no intention of following it up. Overall, the date wasn't horrible - it just wasn't a good fit.

5 comments:

Rebecca said...

Why don't I remember this guy? This is too funny!!!

Laura said...

That is funny and sad. I have dated a few 'numbers' in my time. Some that claimed to be 'holy boys' and were a bit grabby in the car..At least he did not do that..

Unknown said...

Your blog makes me happy. I need to remember to make you talk more when I'm around you (the hardest part will be keeping my own mouth shut) because YOU ARE HILARIOUS. I like you. I'm glad you're here. :)

Cass

Julie said...

It's nice to see that I'm in good company. I'm pretty sure that the whole blind date thing is just not a good idea...unless the one setting you up is a certified matchmaker. Do those still exist? :-)

Anonymous said...

Holy Boy. What an awesome name. I've met many many many of these boys, and now my sister is meeting them. I always thought I'd marry one, but I met my guy in a ballroom studio. Go figure. God's got a sense of humor. But he's always on time, always considerate, loves Eldredge and loves the Lord. Just say "no" to Holy Boys :) God Bless everyone!