Want to know why I'm blogging??

Take a gander at my introductory blog: Explicate Your Analog


Sunday, July 6, 2008

Prince Caspian

Several weeks ago, I watched Prince Caspian with my friend Cassie, her husband Tyler, and Tyler's little bro Matthew. First of all, some of you may have noticed this particular film wasn't on my "must-see" list for the summer. This is partially due to the fact that I didn't grow up in a Christ-centered home, and thus never read the Chronicles of Narnia series (nor have I taken the time to read them yet as an adult). I think I had a teacher who read the first novel to our class somewhere along the way in elementary school and had also seen one of the earlier film versions of it. And while I enjoyed the most recent film incarnation of The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe, I wasn't eagerly anticipating the release of this second film in the series. Yet, as I go back and see that the last film was released in 2005 - I understand a bit more as to why it did not resonate within me as much as this film did. I was only just starting on this journey that has influenced how I relate to God as Father and as Lover. When I saw Prince Caspian, the character Aslan evoked a much different response in me than the tepid one I'd experienced when watching The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe. My favorite part of this film happens towards the end (so if you haven't read the book or watched the film - SPOILER ALERT).



Lucy is racing through the forest to find Aslan (who C.S. Lewis has created as an incredible picture of God) because they have finally realized that they cannot defeat the Telmarines without him. As she gets closer to finding him, she is being chased by one of the Telmarines. She finally happens upon Aslan, and he looks as if he might pounce on her as he roars, to which her expression shows the slightest bit of fear mixed in with her unyielding trust. Of course, Aslan is ferocious because he is about to pounce on her attacker - but that wildness and intensity - those are some of the qualities that cause my heart to flutter with yearning for my fierce Lover. In the next moment, he playfully rolls around with Lucy in the grass. The dichotomy of His ferocity and tenderness continues to set me off balance and yet draws me that much closer to Him. That desire grew even more when Aslan and Lucy marched onto the bridge to face off against the Telmarines, and Aslan's guttural roar called up the river waters to dispose of those treacherous people. With that vision of the water towering overhead, raised out of its peaceful rest to come barreling down on those who threaten his beloved - I became overwhelmed with love for this God who is gentle and sweet yet untamed, jealous, and protective. I am in love with a God who woos me with His power and His sweet gifts of sunlight, perfect stormy naps, mild summer days, and evocative writers like C.S. Lewis.

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

I love how you are able to say things that bring out things I never noticed before. I love that God made us in such a way that we pick up different things but in sharing learn more than if we had discovered it all for ourselves - does that make sense.

I've been praying for God to open my eyes to the love he has for me. I know he does, I just want to experience the overwhelming love he has for me. And this helps with that journey.

Thank you.

Julie said...

I'm going to apologize in advance if I left a comment like this on your blog before because I know that I talked about the Chronicles of Narnia on someone's blog, but I have to interject here because those books are so abso-bloody-lutely awesome. The book that I love the most is the book following Prince Caspian, which is The Voyage of the Dawn Treader. The imagery in this book is gorgeous. I do not want to ruin it for you because you have to read it, but there is a moment in the book that is so real and true that it makes me really wish that I had been a contemporary of Lewis so that I could just live in a world with him in it. I can't wait to meet him one day. Now I need to read those books again.