Want to know why I'm blogging??

Take a gander at my introductory blog: Explicate Your Analog


Tuesday, June 10, 2008

The Bachelorette

Okay, I must confess - I have gotten sucked into (see I'm going to make this seem as though I'm a victim) watching this season of The Bachelorette. I'm not usually a watcher of reality TV. I like Last Comic Standing, but was really only turned on to that show last season. I've caught a couple of seasons of The Bachelor only because it's a favorite of my mom and grandma, and when I would have dinner with either of them on a Monday - that is what they wanted to watch. Of course, it also seems they'd like me to be one of the "lucky" contestants on The Bachelor - but no thanks. That's part of what this particular blog is about. I know this will sound "sexist" or whatever to some, but I am diametrically opposed to The Bachelor. Twenty-five women competing and desperately chasing after the attention of one man (while it is a dream come true for those lazy men out there) makes everything in me well-up with a big, "NO - that is so wrong! You should not have to pursue him!" Yet, (and this is where I'm sure many men will declare that I am sexist - and well tough luck, I'm right and you're wrong)...The Bachelorette is less offensive to me because I believe that men should be the ones chasing and competing for the attention of a woman. And what I find somewhat amusing and also disheartening about this season of The Bachelorette is that many of the men on this show are behaving just as badly (if not worse) than the women on The Bachelor. They are whining like a bunch of gossipy girls! Are you kidding me???!!! Several of the men don't think this Bachelorette is doing enough to find out about them or to talk to them....HELLO! Why don't you stop whining to the group of guys you're hanging out with and go grab some time with her yourself? And not only are they whining that she's not making enough effort to seek them out (which is not her responsibility in the first place - they are the ones competing for her affections) but then they're also whining about the few guys who are making the effort to be aggressive and seek out her attention. Um, don't whine about the guys who are making head-way when you're not willing to step up to the plate. Bunch of whiny-babies...

My prediction for this season of The Bachelorette is that (barring any horribly missteps) Jeremy and Jason will be in the final 3 if not the final 2. I think Jesse also has a chance of being in the final 3. Jeremy is definitely up for the challenge of pursing DeAnna and making his intentions known to her. Jason also seems up for the task. Jesse is just adorable and continues to show progress in being vulnerable before her. The rest of them appear to be in varying stages of whiny-ness. If the guys are as "into her" and think as highly of her as they claim to be, then they better step up soon and take a risk to win her heart. What is up with men taking the easy route? Is it because more women are stepping up and doing the hard work and asking men out? I refuse to do that. Even the secular book, "He's Just Not That Into You" reminds women that they are the ones who should be pursued. Women will do whatever it takes to manipulate, catch, and hold onto a man....but in the end if he's not that into you, he' ll use you for the time being and move onto someone he is actually motivated to pursue all on his own. I'm hoping this Bachelorette picks-off these remaining guys for those who are willing to make the effort and those who aren't.

5 comments:

Rebecca said...

I think I've seen three seasons: two of the guy ones, and the first bachelorette. I would also like to point out that the ONLY one still together, married and with children is Tristan!! The woman who had the man pursue her, and also the one who picked not with her nether regions on who would suffice for the here and now, but the one who picked for life.

I think this should be the new show for good!

Shepherd said...

I watched some of the show... mainly because Sean on the show is my Martial arts instructor.

I agree with you. A man proves himself in the winning of a woman's heart. If he will not risk, then how can he lead?

I was disappointed in the one guy on the show who professed to be a Christian and have high moral standards. Blah.

Shep

kd_rundle said...

Well, look at you knowing one of the contestants...although, I don't think he's gonna get much further with the girl - even with their Kentucky connection.

And I agree, the one guy who spouted off about his high moral standards seemed like a whiny-baby loser too. What is up with all these whiny men? No self-respecting woman is going to find male cat-fighting attractive. They need to stop spending time complaining about the other guys to the girl, and focus on what you have to offer her and get to know her...geez.

Julie said...

I just watched the last season of The Bachelor. I feel a little dirty admitting it. I have watched a few previous seasons too. Ok, more than a few. I think I've seen all of the seasons of the Bachelorette, but I hadn't watched any seasons recently until the last one. I think the show is absolutely ridiculous. Of course none of these people stay together. The Bachelor/ette has to pick the person they're going to spend the rest of their lives with in a month or two. Yeah right. And who is going to like watching their "boyfriend" or "girlfriend" making out with a bunch of other people? I think the people who do these shows are pretty much crazy if they think they are going to actually meet someone. Still, it's so entertaining. Or maybe it's like looking at a car wreck. I'm not sure.

Heather said...

I've never been a fan of either of them honestly. To me it just seemed really crazy. Plus when I first saw the bachelor all I could think of was this guy had a harem and just had to pick his favorite person to be with whenever it suited his fancy. Then I got to thinking that maybe he would get used to that "style" and decide to do that even after the show- now that's just me, but it could be one of the reasons most of those relationships don't last.