Want to know why I'm blogging??

Take a gander at my introductory blog: Explicate Your Analog


Friday, May 2, 2008

Dancing Queen

Dancing is so much fun...whether it's a choreographed ballet or salsa at friend's wedding, I love it all. I started dancing at four years old. My parents put me in ballet, tap, and jazz, which I continued all the way through the fifth grade. I was briefly out of the realm of dance throughout middle school, but never too far from it (cheerleading isn't all that much different from dancing, really). In high school, dancing and I were reunited. During that time, I was opened up to even more forms of dance - modern, funk, lyrical, military, pom, high-kick, etc. But, it was at a youth camp at the end of high school where I first learned swing. Now that is a blast! One of my sister's friends taught several of us how to swing dance, and the best part was learning all the acrobatics - being tossed around from side to side like a rag doll. And just a couple of years ago, I learned to salsa. After having spent most of my life learning how to dance according to someone else's or my own choreography, learning how to follow the lead of someone else and depending on them was a little annoying at first (I've got some trust issues - okay - geez) but really freeing all at the same time.

Choreographing a ballet, lyrical or modern dance provides me a creative outlet, whereas swing, salsa, and even that good 'ole Texas two-step allow me to relax and follow the lead of my partner. In Texas, I had lots of opportunity to go out dancing, take classes to learn new dances, and to perform choreographed dances at church. Somehow, some way, I'm going to have to find a way to fulfill this need here. It's kind of like Maverick in Top Gun, except I don't have a need for speed (well, actually I do - I like to speed when I drive)..."I feel the need - the need to dance!"

2 comments:

Julie said...

That's awesome that you're so into dancing. I've always wanted to do it but haven't really tried it. I guess my major problem is that I have no one to go with. I really want to learn how to salsa. I had a guy friend that offered to take classes with me but he's into me and I'm not at all into him and salsa requires a lot of close contact so I figured it wouldn't be a good idea. But let me tell you, if I ever do end up married, I am dragging my husband to salsa lessons!

kd_rundle said...

Oh, you would LOVE salsa - very fun! The place that I took classes at in Houston was called SSQQ, and you didn't need to have a partner because throughout the course of the class you rotated partners every couple of minutes. That way you had to learn to dance with several different types of partners and still follow their lead. Of course, that means you get several guys who don't know what they're doing and then you get the really good ones which make it all worthwhile. I went with several girl friends, and we had a blast.

I think that'll be one of my requirements too for my future husband - he'll have to at least be game for indulging my need to dance! :)